7/27/2014 Operating Systems with Lab
Lab 4 of 7: Main Memory Allocation – Part 1 of 2 (50 Points)
Click here to open the instructions to access the Linux environment.
Main Memory Allocation – Part 1 of 2
The objective of this week’s lab is to simulate and evaluate different memory allocation/deallocation techniques (first fit, next fit, best fit,
and worst fit)when a linked list is used to keep track of memory usage. You will implement a separate Memory component for TWO
of the four memory allocation/deallocation techniques. This lab is designed to be completed in two weeks. One
allocation/deallocation technique is due on Week 4, and the second technique is due on Week 5.
Submit your assignment to the Dropbox located on the silver tab at the top of this page.
(See the Syllabus section “Due Dates for Assignments & Exams” for due dates.)
Connect to the iLab
i L A B A C C E S S
Accessing the Linux Environment
i L A B O V E R V I E W
7/27/2014 Operating Systems with Lab
Assume that the memory is 256 KB and is divided into units of 2 KB each. A process may request between 3 and 10 units of memory.
Your simulation consists of three components: a Memory component that implements a specific allocation/deallocation technique, a
request generation component that generates allocation/deallocation requests, and a statistics reporting component that prints out the
relevant statistics. The Memory component exports the following functions:
1. int allocate_mem(int process_id, int num_units): allocates num_units units of memory to a process whose id is
process_id. If successful, it returns the number of nodes traversed in the linked list. Otherwise, it returns -1.
2. int deallocate_mem(int process_id): deallocates the memory allocated to the process whose ID is process_id. It returns 1,
if successful, otherwise “1.
3. int fragment_count( ): returns the number of holes (fragments of sizes 1 or 2 units).
The request generation component generates allocation and deallocation requests. For allocation requests, the component specifies the
process ID of the process for which memory is requested as well as the number of memory units being requested. For this simulation,
assume that memory is requested for each process only once. For deallocation requests, the component specifies the process ID of the
process whose memory has to be deallocated. For this simulation, assume that the entire memory allocated to a process is deallocated on
a deallocation request. You may generate these requests based on some specific criteria, e.g., at random or from a memory
allocation/deallocation trace obtained from some source.
There are three performance parameters that your simulation should calculate for the chosen two techniques: average number of external
fragments, average allocation time in terms of the average number of nodes traversed in allocation, and the percentage of times an
allocation request is denied.
Generate 10,000 requests using the request generation component, and for each request, invoke the appropriate function of the Memory
component for each of the memory allocation/deallocation techniques. After every request, update the three performance parameters for
each of the techniques. The statistics reporting component prints the value of the three parameters for the two techniques at the end.
You will submit four separate files to the dropbox for Week 4:
1. C or C++ program (source code)
2. Executable file (object)
7/27/2014 Operating Systems with Lab
3. Instructions to execute the program
4. Analysis of the results for the chosen allocation/deallocation technique
The program for the main memory allocation/deallocation for the first chosen technique is due this week. This program is to be written in
C or C++ programming language on a Linux environment. The second technique is due on Week 5.
IMPORTANT: Please make sure that any questions or clarification about these labs are addressed early.
i L A B S T E P S
Main Memory Allocation – Technique 1 (50 points) Back to Top
Back to Top
|Category||Business & Management|
|Paper Type||Case Study Writing|
Our Online Writers
Check Our Live Stats
Frequently Asked Questions
Private and Confidential
Client’s all information is private and confidential; it is not shared with any other party. Even, we don’t ask client name and give user name to his/her profile. So, no one will know that you have taken help for your Academic paper from us.
We only accept PayPal as our payment method. It is 100% secure. As, We don’t take and store any Credit/Debit card information.
It is guaranteed all your Homework/Assignments Solutions are plagiarism free and original. Writers here charge for their efforts not for Copy/Paste work and TOS management takes strict action against those writers.
All the writers working here are recruited and chosen after taking strict evaluation of their Academic degrees, Experience and background. Then, they are allowed to work here as providing quality homework solution is our first priority.
24/7 online Writers
Our website is worldwide forum, where 100s of experts all over the world remain online round a clock, so, you can come at anytime and get the help from any of your homework. Even Urgent within 1 hour!
Prices at TutorsOnSpot.com
Prices at tutorsonspot.com are very competitive and low. As, tutorsonspot.com is marketplace so, all the writers bid for getting the work and competition among the writers lowers the price and you get your work done at low minimal prices.
- Our service provides you with original content that does not have plagiarism in it. We are renowned for providing our customers with customized content that is written specifically for them. If you are thinking, can someone help me with my research paper? You can depend on us to help you out.
- Our motto is to meet deadlines and deliver your solution right on time.We understand that you want to save your time and we respect it. Regardless of the difficulty, we deliver an unparalleled solution without any delay. Moreover, you get a money back guarantee in case you are not satisfied with our service. To understand this guarantee, check our terms and conditions related to it.
- We perform a detailed research when writing your paper. With all of our services, we ensure to perform extensive research before creating your solution. Furthermore, if you have any questions, just reach out to our customer service team that is available all the day.
- It is our primary goal to satisfy you. Thus, if you are thinking: can someone write my research paper? Just contact us and get the best services that you can get.
Homework Questions in Business & Management
- How to Sell Anything to Anyone Udemy Free Download
- Business Analysis Fundamentals Udemy Free Download
- Build Internet of Things with ESP8266 & MicroPython
- The Complete Guide to League of Legends
- 2020 Complete Guide to YouTube Channel & YouTube Masterclass
- The Complete Final Cut Pro X Video Editing Crash Course
- C# Basics for Beginners – Learn C# Fundamentals by Coding
- MERN Stack React Node Ecommerce from Scratch to Deployment
- Learn Illustrator CC: Create Simple Flat Vector Characters
- Learn Python With 20+ Real World Projects [In 2020]
- A Complete Guide on TensorFlow 2.0 using Keras API
- Instagram marketing 2020 hashtags live stories ads & more
- Fullstack GoLang React Insanity Volume 1
- Blockchain Web Development on Ethereum 
- Microsoft Excel: Data Analysis using Excel Pivot Tables
- The Last Amazon FBA Course – [ 2020 ] Private Label Guide
- Excel vba programming – the complete guide
- Blender character creator v2.0 for video games design
- The Complete React Native + Hooks Course [2020 Edition]
- [Udacity] Become a Sensor Fusion Engineer
- [PacktPub] Hands-On Machine Learning for .NET Developers
- [Frontend Masters] Angular 9 Fundamentals
- Technical Analysis MasterClass:Trading By Technical Analysis
- Transformational Leadership – Leadership Course & Training
Best Service for the Struggling Students
Services For All Subjects
We have experienced tutors and assignment experts from all over the world for all subjects.
24/7 Live Writers
100's of qualified phd tutors round the clock.
Best Price Guarantee
Compare our price. Our services are of highest quality and lowest price, Guaranteed.
Plagiarism Free Work
Safe Payment Options
Pay using paypal though verified gateway for maximum safety, No risk.
100% Privacy Guaranteed
Scan our work with all plagiarism checking tools, Result will always be 0%.